Asian Faculty/Staff Association
AFSA Academic Support Award 2023-24
Each year, the Asian Faculty and Staff Association (AFSA) is proud to honor and recognize outstanding Fresno State students with a $500 award, to be used toward academic expenses, such as books and course material. Students will be honored during the 2023-24 academic year.
Students must meet the following criteria:
- Enrolled at Fresno State during the time of application or during Spring 2024
- Must be an undergraduate, graduate or credential student with a minimum GPA
- Able to discuss contributions to the on-campus and/or off-campus API community
- Able to discuss demonstrated financial need
- Willing to reflect on recent issues impacting the wider AAPI community
- Able to attend the award recognition event on March 20, 2024 at 3:30 - 5 pm
- Apply by the deadline: January 22, 2024
- Before applying, please have the following information prepared:
- Name, contact information (including Fresno State email), and expected graduation term at Fresno State
- An unofficial transcript. The student must be enrolled at Fresno State during the time of application, and must be an undergraduate with a minimum 2.0 GPA, or a graduate or credential student with a minimum 3.0 GPA
- One-page CV, including a list of your academic achievements and public service, leadership, and/or contributions to the AAPI community
- One recommendation letter from an organization/supervisor/mentor who can speak about your AAPI community service. This letter must be emailed by the recommender directly to Dr. Noonsuk (Committee Chair) at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Statement of your financial need (not to exceed 300 words), such as your economic situation and how this scholarship will assist your study
An essay on two topics (not to exceed 500 words), including (1) your service to the AAPI community and (2) a social problem you would like to address in the AAPI community, such as the Anti-Asian racism and the racial disparities in the justice and policing systems
A review committee will read and score all applications based on the above criteria. Awardees will be notified via email by March 6 and must attend an AFSA award recognition event on March 20, 2024 at 3:30 - 5 pm. For more information or questions, please contact Wannasarn (Saam) Noonsuk, AFSA Academic Support Award Review Committee Chair, at email@example.com
Spring 2021 Award Recipients
"I want to make sure many other students who face bigotry are addressed and know people are there to help them.
I try to reflect this through my writing because issues like this deserve awareness."
Major: Social Work Education
"With diversity welcomed now more than ever, I want to mentor young Asian Americans to be courageous leaders.
Learning to be a social worker has taught me to do this and to see the perspective of others, as well as challenge the status quo."
"I am passionate about racism, sexism and social justice issues. Those are the reasons why I chose to pursue the medical field and practice here in the Central Valley.
We have physician shortage and I want to reprsesent the Valley's residents in all matters and fight for their lives both inside and outside of the medical walls.
- Christine Andrew
Major: Master of Social Work Program
- Henry Nguyen
Majo: Business Administration (Marketing)
- Gurman Chahal
- Manharsh Sekhon
- Mungnang Vang